Why is this important?
Fleas and ticks are prevalent in the Cincinnati area. Not only are these parasites a source of irritation to your pet, but they can also harbor disease and adversely affect your pet’s health. In addition, heartworm is a dangerous parasite that lives in the heart of dogs and cats, damages the heart muscle, and can be fatal. Thankfully, all of these illnesses can be prevented, and Deer Park Veterinary Hospital can help you keep your pet safe.
Fleas are small, jumping insects that live off of the blood of animals. They can carry dangerous diseases and will often cause allergic dermatitis ”severe itching” in pets.
Ticks are external parasites that live off of the bodily fluids of animals. They can carry diseases from one animal to another and are the main cause of the spread of diseases such as Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis/anaplasmosis, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
Heartworm is a parasite that can live in the heart of dogs and cats. Mosquitoes carry the worm from one infected animal to another. Several hundred worms can live in the heart of a dog and infection from the parasite causes significant damage and can be fatal.
How we protect your pet:
DVPH follows the recommendations of the National Heartworm Symposium.
- For our geographic region, we recommend all puppies begin monthly heartworm medicine by 16 weeks of age.
- Heartworm medications need to be given year round.
- As an added protection, heartworm testing (a simple blood test) is advised annually, even with year-round prevention, at the time of routine vaccinations.
It only takes one warm day to bring about fleas and ticks, thus DPVH advises giving year-round preventive care. Recommended products include:
- Credelio for puppies until they are six months of age, given monthly
- Bravecto for mature cats and dogs, given every 12 weeks
- Revolution for cats and kittens, given monthly
- Interceptor for puppies and mature dogs, given monthly
- Proheart 12 for mature dogs, once a year injection for prevention of Heartworms
If you have any questions at all, we’re here to go through the entire process with you. Protecting your pet has never been simpler.
How to reach us:
Mon - Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sat: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
We offer Dentals and Surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
We're here to help!
Please complete the form below and a member of our team will respond generally within 24 hours. If you wish to schedule an appointment or have an urgent question or problem please call us at 513-791-8550.